Tuesday 15 July 2014

School children.

I personally love school, I really enjoy my time there! But there is one thing that annoys me about the children in the lower school.

I'm now just finishing my first year of sixth form, so that's 6 years since I started my first year of secondary school and let me tell you, there has been so much change in the children's behaviour since. I was actually shocked when I looked back and compared my year 7 peers to the year 7's now.

When I was in year 7, I have to admit that my year were far from perfect. Ofcourse every year has it's faults, the kids at that age are quite difficult to handle. Personally, I only had one fight in my first year. I look back now and think that so many people in my year made some of the teachers lives hell. I was one of those who started off shy and gradually came out of my shell, once my shell had disappeared I did become one of the loud ones, but I would always use it to have a laugh and a joke with the teachers, I wasn't a disrespectful child, well, there was my form tutor who I didn't get on with that well, me and one of my friends had detention with her almost every lunch time for about 2 years. When I see her now, I instantly feel sorry for her and sorry for the way my form treated her. In all of my time in the lower school years (7-11) I think I got into big trouble three times, which isn't that bad considering that that was throughout 5 years.

At the start of the year, my year were asked to do prefecting, which is basically sitting in one of the corridors at lunch once a week making sure the kids weren't wondering around the school. The kids would knock at the door and demand that we let them in, which defeats the object of being a prefect. I always looked forward to being one because the five years before sixth form, I used to hate the prefects, I wanted the power that they had. Anyway, once I had started prefecting, I started to acknowledge the behaviour in the children. They are horrible. Obviously I can't say that every single child in school is horrible but the innocent only come in a small minority. They would swear and show so much disrespect towards us it was rediculous, I had never expected that sort of language to come from children as young as they are. Also the way they talk to the teachers, one teacher once told me that a child had called her a 'fat lesbian' I mean that's disgusting behaviour, not one teacher deserves to be talked to the way they are sometimes, but the thing is, the punishment system has gone so downhill! It's gotten to a point where the ones who break the rules extremely tend to get away with it without punnishment. I was walking down a corridor once and this girl in year 9 I think, walked past a teacher and shouted 'you're a cunt' and he replied 'good morning (name)' and carried on with his day, I was so shocked! I mean if that was my school, things would be so much different.

I also noticed on my school bus, there are some who sit at the front, ranging from years 7-10, I see them all rolling cigarettes, yes that includes the year 7's, there is no way I would have been seen caught dead lighting a cigarette whilst being that age, I mean to this day, I have never touched a cigarette, never even fancied trying it, not once and I'm 17, these kids are 12-15, the older ones have been smoking for about two years. This makes the kids in my year look like angels at the age of 12. All we did was mess around or fight, we would never dream of smoking or doing drugs at that age. 

I'm making myself sound like the perfect child, that's really not the case, I was far from perfect, but I tell you that compared to the kids now, my mum was pretty lucky, all she had to deal with was me being a bit cheeky at points and an odd fight here and there. There was no way I could ever put my mum through some of the shit that most mothers of those children have to cope with. I couldn't do it. The thing that really gets me is the fact that they do it because they think it's the cool thing to do and they will earn respect by doing it when it's the complete opposite.

My year nine self and my sixth form, this goes to show that I use a pencil as a moustache selfie to make myself look cool, not swear at teachers and take drugs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment